Hair transplant is the process of transplanting a person’s healthy hair follicles to the bald areas as a result of thinning or baldness caused by the hair loss problem that the person experiences due to various factors (such as genetic factors, excessive stress, lack of vitamins and unhealthy nutrition). The process of transplanting the hair follicles into the area between the two ears in the nape region, which is called the donor area donor donand where the hair follicles are most resistant to hair fall, is called hair transplant.
Although different medicine and treatment methods are being studied for the hair loss problem, the most effective and certain solution for hair loss is the hair transplant procedure. The question of whether transplanted hair is fallen or not, causes doubts in the minds of people who want to have hair transplant. However, “hair transplant is definitely a permanent method” because hair transplant is the transplant of their own healthiest hair follicles of the person.
Hair strands and roots in the nape area are much more resistant to hair fall comparing to hair follicles in the other regions due to their genetic structure. “The hair follicles implanted in the hair transplant belong to the person.” For this reason, it is a natural process.
There are 8 basic steps applied in hair transplant processes.
The first basic procedure before hair transplant is consultation (Examination). Consultation is the evaluation of the person who will have a hair transplant. Good evaluation of the patient before the procedure is very important in terms of results. Our patients who decide to have a hair transplant after consultation, can get detailed information by reading our article Things to Consider before Hair Transplant.
MAIN STAGES OF HAIR TRANSPLANT OPERATION
1- Consultation (Examination)
- It should be examined if the person has any disease, especially diabetes, blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, any skin disease and / or infectious disease. For example, the suitability of a person with diabetes for hair transplant is discussed. We can say that the person is not good candidate for hair transplant if he has severe diabetes and uses insulin. Since the wounds of people with diabetes heal slowly, problems may occur during the healing process of the wounds. It is also difficult to get a good result. Hair transplant is a risky process for people with heart disease because adrenaline is among the drugs used in hair transplant.
- People with chronic illnesses should definitely get their doctor’s approval.
- Another important process in the consultation is the evaluation of the hair to be transplanted. It is very important whether the donor area of the person is suitable or not for the procedure. Performing hair transplant might not be right if person has a donor area that is not suitable for hair transplant. Otherwise, a bad result will occur and the hair follicles of the person’s donor area will be damaged. Therefore, a bad image will be obtained. For this reason, it is decided whether or not the person will go through hair transplant during the consultation, and the number of the hair transplant sessions will be decided if the person is a good candidate for hair transplant during the consultation.
2- Determination of Hairline
Determining the hairline is one of the most critical stages in hair transplant. The hairline is determined according to the nature of the hair. The hairline changes from person to person and according to the person’s structure. For this reason, the same hairline should not be drawn to everyone. Hair transplant specialists determine the hairline that is suitable for the person the transplant.
3- Getting Hair Ready for Operation
Before hair transplant, the hair is shaved and the process begins. In the DHI method, this stage varies. After the hair is shaved, the areas to be harvested and transplanted are sterilized.
4- Local Anesthesia Application
Hair transplant is performed under local anesthesia. This is done with a special “anesthetic pen” without a needle.
5- Harvesting Hair
Hair follicles are harvested one by one with micro motor. The hair follicles called graft are collected one by one with the surgical pliers. Then, collected grafts are sorted as single, double, triple, quadruple, five or even six hair roots and stacked separately in glass containers with sterile solution. The doctor supervising the team determines which grafts will be implanted in which region.
6- Channel Opening
In the past, the channel was opened with the help of a slit during hair transplant operation. Slit method is a classic and old method. The channels opened with this method remain scares and the healing process takes a long time. For this reason, Now Hair Time opens channels with Sapphire method. The channels opened with special tip pens obtained from the Sapphire mine shortens the healing time and prevent any scars. Sapphire tips also minimize the rate of necrosis after hair transplant. The hair transplant specialist uses the most suitable Sapphire tip by determining according to hair structure before opening the channel.
It belongs to the doctor who specializes in hair transplant to adjust the depth of the channel. Depending on the number of grafts harvested from the person’s donor area, the channels are opened with an angle of 40-45 degrees, starting from the front lines.
7- Placement of Grafts into Channels
The grafts are placed one by one at an angle of 40-45 degrees into the channels opened with the sapphire method without damaging the roots.
8- Medical Dressing
After the hair transplant process is finished, the whole process is completed by applying medical dressing.
During medical dressing, all hair is washed and cleaned with isotonic water. The donor area is, then, covered using special therapeutical creams. After the blood pressure – pulse and blood glucose control is done according to patient’s condition, the patient stand up slowly and hair transplant is completed.
HAIR TRANSPLANT METHODS
THE MOST SUCCESSFUL HAIR TRANSPLANT METHOD: FUE
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is the process of harvesting grafts with devices called micro motors and implanting into the channels opened using the sapphire technique.
If the FUE method is done with the right technique and the right method, it brings 95% – 98% successful results. FUE method is divided into two as shaved and unshaven hair transplant.
SHAVED FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT
Hair loss can occur as general and regional hair loss. If the hair loss is in the entire head area, the entire hair to be transplanted is shaved with the FUE method. In this way, the open area is completely identified and the grafts are implanted one by one and therefore, there will be no gap.
UNSHAVEN HAIR TRANSPLANT
Unshaven hair transplant is applied only for people who have front line opening and want to narrow their forehead. The reason why this technique is called unshaven hair transplant is that the whole hair is not shaved. In the classical technique, while the entire hair is shaved, only the donor area is shaved in unshaven hair transplant.
TECHNIQUES USED IN HAIR TRANSPLANT
- Natural and Dense Hair with Sapphire FUE (See: Sapphire FUE)
- Unshaven and Dense Hair with DHI Hair Transplant (See: DHI Hair Transplant)
- Classical FUE Technique (See: FUE Technique)
These methods are the most current techniques used in hair transplant. Which method to apply varies depending on the way the patient’s hair loss occur. The technique that can give the most successful result is determined after the evaluation by the hair transplant specialist.